Table of Contents
Groups make it easy to create a collection of users with shared permissions. in Split, you can enable permissions by environment, split, segment, or metric, limiting the actions that non-editors can take.
Administrators can control who can edit and configure splits and segments across an environment using environment-level permissioning. You can enable permissions to limit categories of actions to administrators, individual users, or groups.
Use permissions to:
- Limit access to production environments: For example, for security compliance or per company requirements, you can limit edit access in production to an authorized group of individuals.
- Limit access by teams: For example, for improved usability, you can limit edit access for different teams that only need access to certain environments.
Enabling Environment-level Permissions
Set up environment-level permissions in a few steps:
- Go to the workspaces tab in your Admin Settings page. There, you can select the workspace that you want to edit environments for.
- Click to the Environments tab and click**edit** on the environment you want to change
- Select Permissions and toggle to On
- Click the edit pencil and select additional users or groups as editors
- Click Save
In an environment where permissions are enabled, only those added as editors can do the following:
- Add a split to the environment.
- Edit an existing split definition (including kill/restore functionality).
- Delete a split.
- Add a segment to the environment.
- Edit an existing segment.
- Delete a segment.
- Add additional editors.
When permissions are enabled at the environment level, a lock appears next to the environment name and the permissions toggle is not editable.
If a particular environment does not have permissions enabled, any user can enable permissions for a split, segment, or metric.
Enable split/segment/metric-level permissions
Set up split/segment/metric-level permissions in a few steps:
- Go to the split, segment, or metric.
- Select the environment that you want to enable permissions in.
- Toggle permissions to On.
- Click the edit pencil and select additional users or groups as editors.
- Click Apply.
When enabling permissions for a particular split or segment in an environment, the owners and the user making the change are automatically added as editors, along with the organization's administrators.
Note regarding administrator
The administrators group is always added as an editor when permissions are enabled, both at the environment-level or at the split/segment/metric-level.